We're pleased to have Slow Food Calgary return to the mill this year on Saturday June 23rd for another Secret Farm Picnic to celebrate the summer solstice and good, clean, fair local food, drink, and textiles!
If you haven't heard of them, Slow Food Calgary is part of the global Slow Food initiative that works to promote and maintain local food cultures and traditions, and to encourage a revived interest in the food we eat, where it comes from, and how the food choices we make impact the world around us. Guided by the basic philosophy that all people should have access to food that is GOOD (high quality, flavoursome, and healthy), CLEAN (production that does not harm the environment), and FAIR (accessible prices for consumers and fair conditions and pay for producers), they provide education, advocacy, and events in and around the Calgary area.
This years event will be an experience to remember, both for your tastebuds and you brains! In addition to tasty eats served up by chef Jason Barton-Browne from Hayloft Restaurant in Airdrie, Alberta, as a participant you will have the opportunity to take in a bee-keeping demonstration by Elise Watson from ABCbees, as well as get to dye your own pair of socks using natural plant dyes. We're also offering camping again this year so we can get the camp fire going and enjoy the late evening light!
As a teaser to get your tastebuds watering, below is this years menu outline.
Amazingly tasty snacks
- A selection of breads and crackers
- Alberta Cheeses
- Pickles and Preserves
Salads and Vegetables
- Toasted Grain and Ricotta Salad, Spinach,Dandelion Greens, Cold Pressed Canola Oil
- Roasted Shirley’s Greenhouse Vegetables, Kombucha Vinegar Marinade
- Poplar Bluff Twice Baked Potatoes, Chive, Dancing Goat Cheese
- Blue Mountain Nettle Hag Cake, Carrot and Guanciale Salad
- Grilled Alberta Trout, Vital Green Farms Cream, Sorrel, Puffed Wild Rice
- Smoked Redtail Farms Beef, ‘Alberta Barbecue Style’, Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce
- Roast Links of Blue Mountain Fennel Sausage
- Alberta Fruit Trifle
So, now that you know you need to eat this food, you can purchase your tickets here through Slow Food Calgary's eventbrite page. We look forward to seeing you!